08 May Simple Ways You Can Help the Environment
While it certainly took its time getting here this year, spring weather has finally arrived. This is the time of year when we get back outdoors and start cleaning up our outdoor spaces. In fact, there is a general heightened focus on the environment, with Arbor Day, Earth Day, and World Environment Day all celebrated in the spring and early summer. At NexGreen, we are committed to conducting our business in a way that is safer for people and the planet, and we have some ideas for how you can help the environment, too!
Professional Lawn Care: It’s About More Than the Lawn
Aside from making your home look more beautiful, there is another significant reason to consider professional lawn care services: a healthy lawn helps the environment. Here are some of the ways a well-cared for lawn makes an impact on your world:
- A healthy lawn cleans the air by trapping and storing carbon monoxide.
- Your lawn acts as a natural air conditioner, helping cool not only your yard but the space around it. In fact, a space with healthy turf can be 10-14 degrees cooler than a space over asphalt on a sunny day.
- Lawns help absorb noise and also generate oxygen.
If you love the look of a professionally cared for lawn but are worried about chemicals and toxins, consider a lawn care provider that uses eco-friendly lawn care products such as bio-nutrients for a beautiful, healthy lawn with less fertilizer and pesticides.
A professional lawn care service will also save you time and energy. A reputable lawn care provider will visit your property to inspect your lawn and ask you questions so they can learn as much as possible before creating a care plan tailored to your lawn’s needs. Once that plan is in progress, the hard work is out of your hands. All you have to do is keep your beautiful lawn watered and mowed.
Benefits of Trees in Your Yard
There are many beneficial reasons to plant, nourish, and appreciate trees in your yard. Along with shrubs and gardens, trees bring individual style character to your home. But they do so much more that that:
- Energy savings: Trees help cool your home with shade, but did you ever consider that they can help keep your home warmer in the winter, too? Trees can help block wind and reduce the amount of cold air that gets into your home, which means you don’t have to crank that furnace up as high to stay warm!
- Increased property value: Studies show that trees, especially mature trees, can increase property values anywhere from 5-18%. What a great reason to research the best trees to plant in your area!
- Cleaner air: Trees absorb excess carbon dioxide, storing the carbon and releasing oxygen back into the air. They also absorb pollutants like ozone and nitrogen oxide and help filter particulates from the air by storing them in their leaves and bark.
- A healthier lawn: Shady trees can help slow moisture from evaporating off of your lawn.
- Safety: A 2010 Portland, OR study suggests that neighborhoods with tall, mature trees may have fewer incidents of crime than neighborhoods with fewer trees.
More Ways to Help the Environment
Here are some more of our favorite ideas for being environmentally responsible:
- Ride your bike instead of driving
- Recycle old electronics and batteries at a proper recycling facility
- Clean up a local park
- Plant a fruit and vegetable garden
- Set up a rain barrel system and/or a compost bin
What other steps do you take to reduce your carbon footprint and take better care of your environment? Let us know in the comments. We love hearing your ideas!